Of late, I have been traveling “on my own dime” as they say, and not as they also say, “on the largess of an American corporation’s Q3 marketing budget line-item.” Having now spent the GNP of a small island nation with United Airlines, I’m finally being welcomed back into the warm, loving legroom of United’s “Premier Silver” status.
A few years back, I was traveling a lot on business and had racked up enough frequent flyer miles to qualify for the quasi-humane treatment of Premier Silver status. Sadly, it didn’t last long as my MileagePlus miles eventually dipped below the cut-off point and I became customer non-grata. Since that dark moment, I’ve been forced to either leach off my wife’s status or, gods forbid, fly Economy like a freakin’ animal!
But no more! Today, I am once again a god among men! Or at least among travelers. Okay, Economy travelers.
And here’s a preview of my regained Premier Silver benefits (some of which I may actually be able to use):
- Room to relax — Complimentary access to Economy Plus® at check-in for me and a companion, when available.
- Premium comfort — Complimentary Premier Upgrade confirmation as early as the day of departure.
- Priority at the airport — Enjoy Premier Access® priority services, including check-in, baggage handling, security screening (where available) and boarding privileges.
- Faster rewards — Earn 25% Premier bonus award miles to use toward flights, upgrades, hotel stays, car rentals and more.
- Global recognition — Enjoy Star Alliance™ Silver benefits, including priority reservations wait-listing and priority airport standby.
Obviously, this is a big day for me since United will now stop treating me like a leper with Ebola. Hey, maybe they’ll even comp me some free liquor on my next International flight?! Yeah, you’re right — I probably shouldn’t push it.